Matt convinced me last Spring to run the Big Sur 1/2 marathon this year. We ran it in 2008, the year before Kylie was born and had such great memories of the race- fun weekend with friends, beautiful course, fast times (for us), great post race food. Note: The race title is deceiving as it's not in Big Sur but really in Monterey- down Cannary Row and along the coast. It was difficult to train with 2 kiddos, and this was definitely the least trained I've been for a 1/2. My parents love to stay at their friend's rental house in Pacific Grove this time of year so we took advantage of that and took over their adorable house (awesome location- 1 block from the water), had my dad shuttle us to the race, and my mom watch the girls during the race. Huge thank you to them!! (My dad was actually a bandit runner and joined us for part of the race). Unfortunately, I don't have any pics from the race. The forecast said it was supposed to rain but instead we had gorgeous, sunny weather...perfect for running. My lack of training took it's toll though...the last few miles were pretty painful but we finished and I definitely don't have any desire to run a full marathon. I was thankful that Matt stayed with me the entire race and we finished together.
Here's Grandpa and Kylie making us a cheering poster at the Race Expo while we picked up our bib numbers
A few hours after the race, we walked (slowly) to the Monterey Bay Aquarium- the rental comes with 2 free passes. I was preoccupied getting my phone ready for a pic that I didn't notice Kylie actually lifted the starfish out of the water...woops! At least it made for a good pic
This penguin and Evie had a staring contest for a solid 2 minutes
Best Family Pic Attempt
That night we enjoyed a delicious dinner at The FishWife in Pacific Grove- highly recommend it!
And Matt and I went out for a drink after the girls were down at a fun place in Monterey
Grandpa pointing out the seals to Kylie, it's kind of hard to see, but there are probably about 200 of them...they are so funny to watch, I love how they flop/ move
Matt gets the week of Thanksgiving off from work so Monday morning he surfed with his college buddy Heath and then we left Pacific Grove and drove down the 1 to stay the night in Avila Beach. Matt was jealous of my stay there a few months ago with college friends so he wanted to stay the night at the same great hotel, Avila Lighthouse Suites. Nice hotel, great for kids...we walked to dinner at The Custom House (where I hosted and bussed tables in college), got the girls down and took turns enjoying the hot tub.
A morning scoot and stroll along the water
And this little one perfected her pulling up and standing skills while on vacay. Lookout world, here comes Miss Evie!
Now time for laundry and repacking...getting excited for Thanksgiving in Joshua Tree!






3 comments:
Yay! What a fun trip! Wish we could have done the race too :) And good job Evie on your standing skills!
Nice job with the race! So funny and fun that you went back and stayed at the same hotel in Avila. Shoot I would do the same and I live so close!
Wow, so impressive! I bet that was a beautiful run. I'm contemplating trying one...haha we'll see!
Post a Comment