Time seems to be flying by. I can't believe Evie is already 4 months old and can't imagine life without her! She has become rather easy going- she sleeps fairly well in her car seat while we're out and loves to smile. She was giving us 8 hour sleep stretches at night for a few weeks but lately it's only been 6 hours but sometimes I think that's almost better because if she wakes up at 6AM- we start our day then. However, if she wakes up at 4:30- I do a quick 20 minute feed, put her back down, and she sleeps til 7:30. We had her 4 month check up today and had some discouraging news. First, she weighs 12 lbs 2 oz which unfortunately drops her to the 10th percentile, she had been at the 25th. The dr isn't really worried about that though but does want me to bring her back in a month to make sure she doesn't drop any more. The discouraging news was learning that Evie needs physical therapy. She has torticollis- a tilting of the head, caused by tight muscles in the neck. I cried in the doctor's office, feeling like a bad mother for feeling like I was neglecting her by not noticing it. I think I sort of noticed it but didn't know it was a problem. I'm not sure if she was born with it or not but I do know she has to spend WAY more time on her tummy and stop napping in the swing. These are the 2 things I've been telling myself that I need to do with her so I feel really bad that I haven't. We go to PT Monday morning where I'll learn some stretching exercises to do with her and we will most likely go once a month until she's walking. Thankfully this isn't causing her pain and I'm glad we'll start treating it soon.


The other evening Evie was giggling non stop, it was so adorable. Unfortunately I didn't capture the moment then but I was able to get a few giggles the next night.
6 comments:
Darling Evie! Love the giggles! Good job catching it on video Becky!
Oh no, so sorry about Evie's neck trouble. I know another baby that had that same issue, and now he's a normal, happy toddler with no ramifications from it. It's still upsetting to hear though, and of course as moms we always feel guilty and blame ourselves! :( Glad she'll be getting help from it. She's cute as can be.
I have a good friend who's little girl had the same neck troubles and hers was caused in utero somehow. She also did PT and is a perfect specimen of a 4 year old little girl today. So sorry for poor Evie but hopefully hearing about a few success stories will cheer you up! :) Love the giggles and can't believe she's 4 months already. Time flies!
Oh so sorry to hear about the neck problem and I understand the guilt feeling, any time my kids have any type of issue at the Dr. office I come home feeling like it was something I could have prevented. So glad PT will help. She's got a great laugh, love it!
Oh Becky, you are such a great mom. Your girls are just adorable. So many things to be thankful for! Mia didn't eat her first month of life and I didn't know. How bad is that? haha. The things we learn!
Don't worry (like we moms ever listen to that advice)about Evie...she will be just fine. And don't feel guilty because first of all, that does no one any good. And second of all, you are an amazing mom who cares deeply about her kids. Bennett has had his weight & neck issues as well. we'd love to compare stories.
Post a Comment